Wednesday, March 22, 2006


I read in Pop City this morning that Brighton Heights is planning to construct a grand entrance to the neighborhood, which includes a traffic circle. Brighton Heights went up on my scale of a livable neighborhoods earlier this year when I discovered The Vault, a coffee shop, had opened on California Avenue.

When I read the article this morning, I had the idea that a traffic circle which once existed next to the McKees Rocks Bridge was being recreated. It turns out that's not the case (the new circle will be a block or so away,) but still recalls an earlier desire to make things look good. Yes, there was a time when function followed form!

I don't mean to bring into question the function of traffic circles. They are of course aethstetically pleasing. They're also functional once the locals learn how to use them.

In any case, creating an entry way for Brighton Heights is a welcome idea.

If you haven't discovered it, it's worth a look. I was there on Monday visiting a client who was busy restoring a very large home. What a task! I would think the results will be quite satisfying.

There are also some condo's available in buildings designed by a noted architect (Osterling) just steps from the coffee shop.

If you don't know where Brighton Heights is, soon it will be easier to find. If you'd like to check out some properties there, give me a call at 412-322-2000.

No comments: