Friday, July 07, 2006

I think this is the first day of "All-Star" week and I'm not sure how good of a start we're having. This is a big day for Bob the Mayor and I'm sure it could've beenone of the highlights of his life to cut the ribbon opening the ceremonies, but instead, he's in the hospital. I also remember reading several new restaurants would be open on the North Shore in time for the week, but I suspect they're not going to make it.

Oh well, on July 4th I noticed the banners on the Roberto Clemente Bridge. They look great, and Pittsburgh has been looking better all the time. I don't imagine the mayor's cough or the fact that visitors can't go to a restaurant they didn't know existed will matter much.


I also had my first real visit to the new Schenley Plaza. I remember this was kind of pushed through by former Mayor Tom--with great results whatever your view on the politics. It's amazing how this wonderful plaza could have been a parking lot for so long.

Finally, I'd like to comment on my favorite topic, the Garden Theater block. For years I have been advocating selling off the buildings individually to private developers. For more than a decade the URA has been holding the buildings for development at the time the last is acquired. The last of course is the Garden Theater and it's still a hold-out. Well, at this time the largest of the buildings, the Masonic temple is advertised on the URA web site as available. This could be the beginning of something really good.

No comments: