Thursday, July 12, 2007


Buffalo, New York was the destination on a recent day trip. Driving towards Buffalo from Erie, Pa is a treat. Traveling along a small road line with grape fields and early Nineteenth Century houses, one is confronted with our rural past. Its easy to enjoy the untouched countryside not marred by Wal-Marts and gas stations. I have not yet been to upstate New York specifically to visit vineyards, but I look forward to it. I've been to Buffalo several times before, crawled through the abandoned Central Terminal and gander ed at the magnificent city hall. Buffalo has beautiful architecture, but it's missing life--at least life downtown. I didn't notice much condo construction and old buildings in the central city are still being demolished. Central Terminal may be secure, but its still quiet.

I'm not writing this to Buffalo-bash, but I couldn't help but think Buffalo doesn't have much when compared to Pittsburgh. I think compared to a lot of similar cities, ours has undergone an unparalleled transformation. I would like to say that Buffalo has just as much to work with (as Pittsburgh) and is well worth exploring as a trip destination or a place to relocate to.

On the way back my friend and I stopped in Erie, PA for lunch. Now here's a nice center surrounded by "blah." The drive in is enough to make most travelers hit the pedal for the highway. Stay with it, the downtown has a number of early buildings, an attractive art museum, a great train station and some town squares. What it needs is building context and more streetscapes that aid the walkability. Hey Erie, build, build, build. Fill in the empty spaces!!! There's a lot in the right place to work with here too.

No comments: